The Storefront’s Service Delivery Hub is one of the best known and most accessed resources East Scarborough Storefront offers to the KGO (Kingston-Galloway/Orton Park) community. At our hub, community members can find 35+ social service partners who help make their lives better – without having to travel to 35 locations around town! This Partner Spotlight comes out every 2 weeks and features one of those partners so that you can learn more about what our awesome partners have to offer to people in KGO at The Storefront.
Before we introduce to you to one of our partner agency. Here are some facts from Canadian Women’s Foundation in regards to Violence against women:
- Approximately every six days, a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner.
- Canadians collectively spend $7.4 billion to deal with the aftermath of spousal violence alone.
- Children who witness violence in the home have twice the rate of psychiatric disorders as children from non-violent homes.
- Half of all women in Canada have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16.
- 67% of all Canadians say they have personally known at least one woman who has experienced physical or sexual abuse.
- On any given night in Canada, about 300 women and children are turned away because shelters are already full.
- Aboriginal women are killed at six times the rate of non-aboriginal women.
Connecting Women with the Scarborough Services (CWSS)
CWSS is a Tides Canada Initiative project that is working together to provide a coordinated approach to address the issue of violence against women.
Who is CWSS?
They effectively coordinate services and provide community outreach. Their goal is to be responsive to the needs of women survivors of violence and the community agencies that provide services to them, by improving accessibility of services for women survivors and women experiencing abuse.
What do they do?
CWSS provides information in different community hubs in Scarborough.
At these clinics intake workers meet with women at the clinic, informs them about gender based violence services and connects them to the services chosen by the client.
CWSS at Storefront:
Esma, our CWSS community intake worker comes to Storefront every Tuesdays from 9:30 to 4:30pm
If you or someone you know can benefit from this services, please contact our Community Resource Specialist at 416-208-9889 ext 21 to make an appointment
Remember to check out our Partner Spotlight Archive to learn more about other AWESOME Storefront partners!