What better way to celebrate Law Day than introducing you to one of Storefront’s long-term partner agency: SOUTH ASIAN LEGAL CLINIC OF ONTARIO.
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO) started in 1999 to 2001 as a volunteer based organization dedicated in serving low-income South Asian communities with the support of South Asian lawyers and activists. In 2007, they were permanently funded by Legal Aid Ontario.
- The South Asian community is the fastest growing visible minority group in Toronto (growing by 40% since 1996). Making this city, as the CBC notes, “the largest [South Asian] diaspora in the western hemisphere”.
- The population of South Asians in the GTA is or exceeds the population of most cities in Ontario.
- At the same time, studies show that a large percentage of the South Asian community live in impoverished circumstances, falling into the low-income category. Studies also show that racialized communities, like the South Asian community, are more likely to fall into poverty based on systemic barriers like racism.
- 34.6% of South Asian families in Toronto live below the Statistics Canada Low Income Cut Off.
SALCO @ Storefront:
SALCO provides services at Storefront twice a month. The 1st and 3rd week of each month from 10:00am to 12:30pm.
Some of the services provided by SALCO are:
- Ontario Disability Support Program
- Employment Insurance
- Human Rights
- Workplace safety and Insurance Board (advice only)
- Employment Law
- Family Law (Basic Advice)
- Tenant Rights
- Domestic Violence
- Old Age Security
- Canadian Pension Plan
- Criminal Injuries Compensation (Basic Advice)
Did you know?
SALCO provides Public Legal Education. You can contact them or complete the Request for Legal Education form to have them come and speak to you!
If you would like to learn more about South Asian Clinic of Ontario and the work they do, please visit their website at https://salc.on.ca/
Remember to check out our Partner Spotlight Archive to learn more about other AWESOME Storefront partners!