Today, I’m offering a HUGE THANK YOU for all the ways you have contributed to The Storefront in 2017. Thank you to all the volunteers, donors, funders, staff, residents, and anyone and everyone who is rooting for us! I thank you for giving your time, energy, money, and heart to the Storefront! Thank you for attending meetings and events and spreading the word about us and inspiring others to learn more and do more – together!
All of these things you have been doing are creating a more connected community in East Scarborough.
Please read on…I hope you enjoy learning more about some of the accomplishments you helped to make possible in 2017. I also hope you will join us
in building an even more vibrant and connected community together in 2018.
Principal and Director
East Scarborough Storefront
Sport for Change (S4C) is inspiring kids to make positive contributions to their community, while having fun and developing sports skills. In 2017, 100 kids played together AND cleaned up the neighbourhood, conducted a safety audit, and got their neighbours involved in activities at The Storefront. They even organized what was intended to be a “small” tournament that attracted over 225 young soccer players from all across Ontario!
Your support is creating more opportunities for play and connection!
KGO-ACT (All Community Together) is helping youth-serving organizations learn how to better support youth by fostering youth leadership. Working with local organizations, 45 young people have been sharing their views and voices. The impact of this is that local agencies have been able to learn from the youth and to adjust and develop programs that are more effective, appealing and engaging for local young people.
When you give to The Storefront, you support collaboration, youth leadership development, and better youth programming across the whole neighbourhood!
East Scarborough Works is engaging job- seekers, employers,and training partners in strengthening the local job market, and creating real training opportunities and real jobs for local people. Your generosity fuels activities that connect all these different groups of people together. You are creating pathways for people to get from un- or under-employment to training opportunities and to meaningful, decent work.
Tower Neighbourhood Renewal is a collaboration of resident leaders and community partners who are working together to transform outdoor spaces in the 2 apartment towers immediately adjacent to The Storefront so that residents have more opportunities to gather, interact with one another and get involved in healthy outdoor activities. Your gifts make these collaborations and outcomes possible!
The Service Hub supports people by connecting them with information and support. Some people come for help – finding employment, accessing settlement, legal, wellness and other services. They can get on-site support from our employment team or one of our 35 social service partners. And essential to The Hub are volunteers, like our 2017 Tax Clinic Volunteers shown above. Thanks to you, we were able to be open on Saturdays, so these volunteers could help 430 people file their tax returns, bringing more than $430,000 back to families in KGO.
Get E-Updates Now
A special shout out to funders and donors who have made gifts in 2017 (so far!)
- Employment Ontario – Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development
- Ontario Trillium Foundation
- United Way Toronto and York Region
- City of Toronto
- George Cedric Metcalf Foundation
- Dow Canada
- Friends of the Pan Am Path
- Richard and Colleen Peddie Foundation at Toronto Foundation
- Patricia J. Fleming – FBG Fund at Toronto Foundation
- Kiwanis Toronto Foundation
- Toronto Foundation
- RBC Grants – Employee Volunteering
- West Hill-Highland Creek Lions Club
- Action Honda
- Individual and Family donations
Join these amazing people who believe in creating a community where everyone can thrive! If you haven’t had a chance lately:
You can also help in other ways:
- share this page with people you know who would be interested in our work. Please copy and paste the link to this page and share on your favourite social media platform or via email. The link is: https://www.thestorefront.org/news/thank-you-heres-how-you-built-community-together-in-2017/
- Learn more about and get involved in our #GivingTuesdayCA campaign
- Volunteer with us! Contact Dip for more info.
- Subscribe to our email updates to keep informed about all the amazing impacts arising from a community where people work together so everyone can thrive!