March 10, 2020
Dear Storefront Family,
The East Scarborough Storefront is committed to the safety, health and wellbeing of our staff, students, volunteers, partners and residents. We are always vigilant with our protocols and the measures that we take to prevent the transmission of communicable illnesses and ensure the ongoing health of all those who come through our doors.
As the world community monitors the news about the spread of the new Coronavirus (COVID-19), please be assured that The Storefront team is keeping up to date on the situation, listening to recommendations coming from appropriate authorities, and taking proactive steps to minimize disease transmission. Any actions we take will be guided by information from the World Health Organization (WHO), Health Canada, Toronto Public Health , as well as other public health agencies.
We have reviewed recommendations from Toronto Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The following are the specific steps that we are taking in our ongoing effort to prevent the spread of illness within The Storefront community:
- We have reviewed our daily cleaning and sanitation protocol for all program areas and have modified and enhanced daily procedures where necessary and appropriate, and we have taken steps to ensure that we will have the necessary supplies to do this.
- We have increased hand-washing signage in our washrooms and locker rooms and have added hand sanitizer in additional areas of the building.
The health and safety of our staff, volunteers, placement students, partners and residents is of the utmost importance. We are undertaking the following steps* to help stop the spread of COVID-19:
- If you have symptoms that suggest COVID-19, please seek medical attention and follow doctors’ recommendations.
- If you are not feeling well and exhibit any symptoms of illness, please refrain from using The Storefront until all symptoms have subsided. If you have a fever please make sure that you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication before returning to The Storefront.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 15 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer. Sanitizers are available in all public areas at The Storefront.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
*As recommended by Toronto Public Health, March 4, 2020
We will continue to monitor this situation and will communicate with and follow guidelines as they are disseminated from health authorities. We will maintain our commitment and diligent efforts to mitigate exposure to and transmission of communicable illnesses within The Storefront community and ask that each of you please do your part in continuing to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of everyone.
Thank you for your cooperation.
The Team at East Scarborough Storefront